I bring you pre-July 4th greetings from Boston, home of the American Revolution. They've still got ripe serviceberries up here, as I discovered last night as I was walking down a city street. There's nothing that quite makes you feel at home in another city like knowing you can eat the fruit off the street trees.
Saturday (July 3):
- The Sierra Club is sponsoring a cleanup at Edwards Ferry on the C&O Canal.
- The Center Hiking Club and Capital Hiking Clubs are both hiking sections of the Billy Goat Trail, and the Gold Mine Loop around Great Falls, also in the C&O Canal Historic Park.
- A ranger at Rock Creek Park will lead a 2-mile hike to Rapids Bridge.
- The Sierra Club is sponsoring a commemorative hike at Bull Run. "At a forest graveyard, we remember our fallen soldiers and ancestors on this commemorative day."
- The Audubon Naturalist Society will hike at Piscataway Park.
- The NoVA Audubon Society will have their regular birding sessions at Great Falls and Dyke Marsh.
- The NoVA Hiking Club is taking a hike through DC that includes the C&O Canal and Glover Park.